Monday, February 23, 2015

Why Water

8 glasses of water everyday. We've all heard the recommended daily amount of water for our bodies time and time again, yet so many of us are still living life dehydrated. I don't know about you, but finding time to drink that much water each day is a challenge. I also believe that many of us don't fully understand the significant role that water plays in our overall health so we tend not to make it a priority. So this post is about addressing the role water plays in our life and putting together an easy way to keep yourself properly hydrated throughout the day.




Waters Health Benefits

Our bodies are 60% water and so it makes sense that they need the constant intake of water to function properly. Drinking enough water everyday helps with your bodies overall organ functions such as digestion, circulation, etc. No need to get too technical with this but you should know that water is one of the key ingredients to a healthy and functioning body. 

Water Beauty Benefits

I had no idea that water had such an effect on your physical appearance. There are negative effects caused by dehydration and positive effects caused by proper hydration. Being dehydrated can lead to acne breakouts, painful sunburns, dark circles/bags under your eyes, dry/red nose, dry skin, longer hangovers, unhealthy hair, and wrinkles just to name a few. Proper hydration counteracts all of those negative effects and will help with your overall complexion and appearance. So basically, staying hydrated helps you look like the best version of you. Cool right? Simple enough? Then let's start drinking more water!

Water Fitness Benefits 

Being busy, you want to be able to make the most out of your workouts whenever it is that you actually have time to fit one in. You won't be getting the most out of your workout if you are not properly hydrated. It's important to drink water before, during, and after a workout to be able to push yourself and recover properly. Another benefit of water is that it can assist with weight loss or weight management. Too often, people tend to eat because they think they are hungry, but it turns out it is their bodies way of saying it needs a glass of water. Remembering to stay hydrated will help you to feel fuller and also aid in your digestion. Also. the more you drink, the more you pee, which means the more toxins you flush out of your system, and the better you feel. SO DRINK WATER!

The "Water Plan"

Like I mentioned before, finding time and remembering to drink enough water everyday is a constant struggle. In order for me to get the proper amount of hydration each day I have sort of a "water plan" that I go by that helps me to drink water at the right times  each day. I encourage you all to try something like the "water plan" listed below. Whatever helps you drink water, whether that be buying yourself a cute new water bottle, adding fresh fruit to a pitcher of water to flavor it or just filling up a glass from the sink, it doesn't matter as long as you are drinking. 


  • As soon as I wake up in the morning I go and heat up a cup (8 0z) of hot water and grab a lemon slice from the fridge (I pre-cut lemon slices and keep them in a Tupperware container).  Drinking lemon water in the morning has many benefits. I found a good list of them on this blog Better Healthy News so feel free to check it out if you want more information. I like hot water right now because it's winter and the mornings are always cold, but once it starts to get warmer I'll probably just grab a glass of ice water.
  • I take a water bottle to glass (16.9 floz.) and my goal is to finish it before lunch time. Drinking water before a meal helps you to feel fuller and aids in digestion. Plus, sometimes class is boring so water helps me to stay awake and pass the time.
  • I drink a glass (8 oz) of water with my meal because how can you eat and not have something to wash it down with?
  • Before I workout, I usually drink a water bottle of SPARK by Advocare. I'm not saying you need SPARK or any type of pre-workout, it's just what I prefer. A simple bottle of water will work just fine, as long as you are drinking water prior to your workout, that's what matters. 
  • Post workout, I refill my bottle to the top upon leaving the gym and my goal is usually to finish it before supper.
  • Drink another glass with my dinner because a meal and water go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly. 
  • Lastly, I end my night with a glass of water before I go to bed. During the winter I like to make bedtime tea which not only hydrates me, but also helps me sleep. 
So in total I consume about 83 oz of water throughout the day! It's commonly recommended that you consume half your body weight in ounces of water each day so I am over by some, but I'm not perfect and though I aim for this everyday it doesn't always happen. The 83oz goal gives me a little wiggle room for those days when I fall short. 

The moral of the story is that water is important and you should make greater efforts to incorporate it into your life. Feel free to give this "water plan" a try or create your own! Find what works for you and join the Hydration Nation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment