Monday, March 2, 2015

Look Fabulous Fast



Being a girl is hard. There's so much that needs to be done when getting ready, you've got to do your hair, make-up, nails, shave, pick out an outfit.. all of which can take FOREVER. I don't know about you but I don't have forever. I've got about 45 minutes on a good day, sometimes 20 so I've had to learn how to put myself together fast. These are my favorite tips and tricks to look your best with limited time and effort. 




Dry Shampoo/Baby Powder

I feel like it's pretty common knowledge by now that it is actually good for you to not wash your hair daily. If you are like me though and have fine hair, you'll end up looking like you rubbed a greasy pizza on your head if you don't shower daily. That's where a dry shampoo or baby powder can come into play. They dry up the excess moisture or grease in your hair and add some volume as well. Plus by skipping hair washing in the shower, you can save yourself time getting ready because you won't need to blow dry, style, etc. I personally like baby powder better because I feel like it leaves my hair softer and less stiff. On the other hand, I am blonde and I feel like it doesn't blend as well with darker hair colors so dry shampoo might be more your style. 

Scarves and Statement Pieces

There are certain things a girl can throw on that will automatically make them look slightly more put together for example, a fashion scarf, statement necklace, or cute boots. You could add one of these items to leggings and a slouchy sweater and you jump from "just rolled out of bed" to "casually cute." My go-to when heading to class, the grocery store, or even out to a local bar for a few drinks during the week is to throw on one of these items. It's the same effort as putting on sweatpants, a hoodie and sneakers and just as comfy, but you look 10x better. 

Minimal Make-up

I love doing my make-up and getting all dolled up just as much as the next girl, but you need to be able to prioritize when you can get by with less or when you have time for more. Contouring your face, doing a four shade combination of eyeshadow, or lining your lips to look luscious can wait for the weekend, a hot date, or a big event. For you daily activities much less is needed and in fact many men have said they find it more attractive when women look more natural with their make-up. During the week I get by with what I call the "essentials," mascara, foundation, blush, and tinted lip balm. Minimal make-up is used simply to highlight your features. By using these four tools, your make-up should take you 5 minutes max. I guarantee you won't need more than this to look beautiful although it might take some getting use to if you usually cake on the make-up. 

Finding Outfits

I'm sure most of you have had the issue of starring at a closet full of clothes, but not seeing a single outfit you'd like to wear. There are two things I do to try to make putting outfits together easier. The first being: catalog your closet. Take an afternoon when you have some extra free time and try on different outfit combinations with the clothes you have. Take pictures so you can remember how you put it together and what you looked like wearing it. Then when you need some outfit inspiration you can pull up those photos and find a great look. Second: pre-plan. At night when I'm laying in bed before falling asleep, I think about what I want to wear the next day to class. Before I go out on the weekend I layout an outfit so that when I get off work I can get ready quickly. Really in any situation you can pre-plan your outfit and it will save you so much time and effort. 

Spray Tan/Tanning Lotion

We've all heard it, tanning is horrible for your skin. So why do so many of us continue to subject our skin to the harmful UV rays of tanning beds? Because we love the way our "sun-kissed skin" looks. It helps smooth out our complexions and skin tones as well as add that healthy glow. Recently, many have started to resort to professional spray tans but those add up and can get pretty spendy. An alternative that is often overlooked is personal tanning spray and tanning lotions you can buy at target or any local drug store. I think people fear the uneven streaks or the orange complexion you can get if not applied properly. I use a spray tan and lotion 2-3 times a week during the winter months and have not run into either of these issues. It's important to remember that you don't need to look 10 shades darker, a little glow will do wonders so don't over do it, or you will look orange. Make sure to rub the lotion in completely all over your body and wash your hands right after. I also like to use an a tanning spray for the areas I can't reach on my back. I also use the spray for my face because I feel like it is less oily on my skin, but I spray it into my hands and apply like a lotion so that it is even. My favorite products are by Neutrogena. 


Quick Up-do's 

Throwing your hair up into a sophisticated up-do works great, especially with "dirty" hair because it will hold better. A sock bun will always make you look chic and they are super easy. This YouTube video is a great sock bun tutorial if you've never given it a try. Other up-do's I love are side braids and high ponies. If you don't have time to shower or need your hair pulled back try one of these! Another quick tip when styling your hair, hair spray your bobby pins before putting them in. If you're going for a simple half up do with your hair pinned back, bobby pins are perfect and by spraying them first, it will help them to hold your hair in position all day long. 

Vaseline Socks

No one likes dry feet, but who has time/can afford going to get a pedicure done every week?? Not this girl. A simple trick I use to help keep my feet moisturized and soft through those rough winter months is to apply Vaseline before I put on my socks everyday. Then all day my feet are getting moisturized and I have to do nothing. Another way would be to sleep with socks and Vaseline on, but I can't sleep with socks on so this doesn't work for me. 

Quick Curls

My hair is naturally straight except during those few hot, humid summer months when my natural curls come out so if I want some texture in my hair, I have to make it happen. Curling your hair can take forever, but this little tip will cut your time in half. Step 1: Gather your hair at the top of your head in a pony tail. Step 2: split your hair into 8 chunks. Step 3: wrap hair around a curling wand, holding for 10-15 seconds. Step 4: Let curls cool and set. Step 5: Take hair out of pony tail and shake our your curls. Step 6: Spritz hair with hair spray and run your fingers through to blend all of your curls. Depending on your hair type, this is going to take around 10 minutes max. You now have effortless curls in minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment